Saturday, October 1, 2016

GameFly




This is more of a review than anything, as I couldn't really do much to change the GameFly Component and there really isn't a need to as it runs really, really well.

First, you'll need to hardwire the ethernet cable to the box.  Like most game consoles this is extremely inconvenient, but also a requirement for the best and most stable game play.

I didn't have the ability to hard wire on the second floor in my house, so being a techy guy, I actually took an older spare router that was dual band and had the ability to create a wireless bridge.  I just plugged in the ethernet cable to the older spare router and connected that router wirelessly to the downstairs router and wala! Works great!! (However, as I read this back to my wife for editing I received the disapproving head shake and side eye).
SOOO...if you don't know what a wireless bridge is and how to do it, I suggest just hardwiring to the closest router.

I played a few games for the timed trial of 10 mins.  It was pretty impressive, as I had little to no lag and streamed without artifacting.  Technically, I was running wireless so I imagine this be even better downstairs on the TV so I'll try again and report back.

Update: I moved it downstairs, and lo and behold even performs even better hardwired in.  Although the titles weren't the newest, my sons and their friends enjoy playing them. That's enough for me to buy in at $9.99 per month and it keeps my consoles safe...for now.